One Button Studio
The studio has reopened! Please contact email@example.com for more details.
The One Button Studio is an automated, simplified video studio that can be used without any previous video production experience. The studio is equipped with a combination of special hardware and software that allows users to simply plug a flash drive into a USB port and push a button to start recording. All of the lighting, audio, and video equipment is already in place so no set-up is required.
Who can use the One Button Studio?
The studio is available for faculty (and other course instructors) to use in support of their teaching at Vanderbilt University. The studio is not available for Vanderbilt staff or students.
Phased Reopening Update: Only one faculty member will be allowed to enter the studio at a time.
Where is the One Button Studio?
The studio is located in Baker 801 (immediately to your left when you exit the elevator).
Phased Reopening Update: When you schedule your appointment, you will receive information about how to access the Baker Building.
Why would I record videos for my class?
When teaching online, videos are a great way to bring social presence to your course. However, videos aren’t solely for fully online courses. They are also a great way to supplement your course content or provide resources for those who want to know more.
For ideas for using videos in one’s teaching, visit the CFT’s teaching guide on effective educational videos or consider participating in the CFT’s Online Course Design Institute. For technical instructions creating screencasts via Kaltura or sharing videos with students on Brightspace, see our “Using Media on Brightspace” resource.
What should I bring with me?
- A USB flash drive with at least 2GB of space
- Your laptop computer with and HDMI connection. If you do not have a laptop, you can use the one in the studio.
(The studio is equipped with a USB-C to HDMI adapter for Mac users.)
Phased Reopening Update: You also must have a mask to enter the studio.
How does it work?
- Plug your flash drive into the one button studio station. The camera, microphone and studio lights will all automatically turn on. Make sure the switch for the florescent room lighting is turned off.
- Plug the HDMI cord from the large display monitor into your laptop. Launch your presentation, web browser, or application and display your desired content.
- Stand in the designated spot, marked with yellow tape on the floor, and grab the remote clicker to advance your presentation (if needed).
- When you are ready, press the big, silver button next to you. A countdown will appear on the one button studio screen.
- Once the countdown is complete, recording is in progress and you may begin your video.
- To stop recording, press the big, silver button again.
- You can press the button again to record any additional video segments onto your drive.
- When you are finished, wait for the One Button Studio software to save your video onto your flash drive. The One Button Studio software will tell you when it is finished.
- Unplug your flash drive and the studio will turn off automatically .
- You are done! Your video(s) are now saved as .MP4 files on your flash drive.
What does the end result look like?
The subject will be standing to the left of a large monitor in front of a solid white background. Below is an example of what the final video would look like.
How do I schedule a time to record in the studio?
The CFT’s Digital Media Specialist, Carly Byer, manages the studio. You can schedule an orientation session to learn more about the room or book recording time through My Calendly. You are also welcome to contact Carly directly at 615-343-0217 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to help you get started making videos!
Phased Reopening Update: Once you make an appointment, Carly will provide you with further details on how to safely return to campus.
Current Safety Procedures
If Carly or faculty member feel ill, they will cancel/reschedule their appointment.
- To return to campus, you must contact your dean or department chair. They will help you: – Get access to the Oracle training required. – Contact card services so that your ID will allow you to enter the building and use the elevators.
- The studio will be sanitized before your arrival.
- Please do not bring anyone else to this appointment.
- Please put on a mask prior to entering the studio. Carly will be wearing a mask and keeping a distance of 6ft at all times.
- Please wash/sanitize your hands before and after using the studio.
- You can take your mask off once you begin recording (storing it in your own bag, and not on studio surfaces) and then put it back on when you are finished. Hand sanitizer will be provided for this process.
- Carly will be in the adjoining room while you record in the studio.