Teaching Forum Vol 2:1 Fall 1999 Newsletter
- On Critical Thinking. In this article, three Vanderbilt professors engage the questions surrounding the value and application of critical thinking.
- Critical Thinking, Enlightenment, and Pedagogy. Master Teaching Fellow and philosophy graduate student Nick Smith reflects on the intersection of critical thinking and pegagogy.
- The Teaching Exchange: Fostering Critical Thinking. George Becker, Associate Professor of Sociology, and Leonard Folgarait, Professor and Chair of Fine Arts, describe strategies they’ve found effective in helping students learn to think more critically.
- From the Students’ View: Professors who cultivate critical thinking skills. Four students reflect on the practices of professors who helped them develop their critical thinking skills.
- Services of the CFT: The Value of Videotaping. Here are responses to common questions about the value of having a class videotaped and how one sets up a videotape consultation at the Center for Teaching. The article closes with reflections from two different instructors on their experience of being videotaped.
- Notes from the CFT Library: Books on Critical Thinking. Reviews of relevant books available in the Center for Teaching library.