Now Accepting Applications for Associate Director of the Center for Teaching
Our longtime colleague Cynthia Brame is leaving the Center for Teaching in August for a new faculty position in biological sciences here at Vanderbilt. More on that later! For now, I wanted to share that we’ve posted an opening for the Center for Teaching’s associate director position. See below for details and information on applying. – Derek Bruff, Executive Director
promote and enhance university teaching and learning across the Vanderbilt campus. The Associate
Director leads and oversees a variety of faculty and educational development programs and services at
the center and provides strategic direction for the center in collaboration with the center’s Executive
Director, to whom the Associate Director reports. The Associate Director works collaboratively with
senior and support staff at the center, as well as others involved in the university’s teaching mission,
including faculty and administrative leaders.
staff at the Center for Teaching to provide professional development for faculty and other instructors at
the university, while working with the Office of the Provost and other partners across campus to foster
institutional structures and resources that support effective teaching at Vanderbilt.
staff positions, as well as four graduate student fellows. The mission of the Vanderbilt University Center
for Teaching is to promote university teaching that leads to meaningful student learning. By helping
members of the Vanderbilt community become more effective teachers, the Center for Teaching
supports the educational mission of the university and enhances the learning experiences of its
students. The CFT offers a variety of professional development programs and opportunities for faculty
and graduate students at Vanderbilt, and CFT senior staff have excellent relationships with individual
instructors and with departments, programs, and schools.
- Plan and oversee CFT programming and offerings for the Vanderbilt teaching community, including flagship faculty development programs, technology-focused programs (Brightspace support, digital media services), and graduate student programs.
- Manage CFT personnel, including the recruitment, hiring, training, and professional development of CFT staff, as well as building a shared sense of mission, fostering intra-staff collaboration, and mentoring managers within the CFT staff.
- Consulting with campus leaders, including department chairs and school deans, on program and campus teaching and learning projects, such as curriculum design and assessment, active and inclusive teaching practices, and the assessment of teaching, and occasionally consulting with individual instructors about their teaching.
- Engaging in significant scholarly work on teaching and learning, including contributions to disciplinary and interdisciplinary educational research literature and participation in national conversations on education and educational development.
- Assisting the Executive Director in short- and long-range strategic planning for the CFT, including budgeting and staffing decisions, and representing the CFT in the absence of the Executive Director.
- Teaching credit-bearing courses at Vanderbilt, typically one course per year in the Associate Director’s home discipline, pending approval from the relevant department and school.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Master’s degree is required
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant experience is required
- A Ph.D. is preferred
- Significant university teaching experience
- Background as a faculty member at a college or university
- Educational development experience with faculty and graduate students
- Strong consultation, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Contributions to and knowledge of the scholarly literature on teaching and learning in higher education
- Familiarity with the academic mission of a research university
- Experience in planning, implementing, and evaluating educational development programs
- Experience supervising and managing personnel
- Experience developing and working with budgets
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion: