Services for Departments, Programs and Schools
The Center for Teaching works directly with departments, programs, schools and other units in a variety of ways. We welcome the opportunity to consult or collaborate with deans, department chairs, center directors, curriculum committees, course heads, and any others playing a role in the design, implementation, assessment, and evaluation of teaching and learning at Vanderbilt.
The following are issues on which the Center recently has consulted or collaborated with various units across the university:
- Recruiting and orienting new faculty
- Designing and implementing ways to evaluate teaching effectiveness; understanding student course evaluation data
- Creating development plans for teaching improvement
- Adapting the mentoring of faculty to different career stages
- Advising and mentoring undergraduates, graduate and professional students, and post-doctoral fellows in their research
- Fostering the professional development of graduate students as future faculty
- Designing for and assessing student learning in individual courses, curricular sequences, or larger programs
- Creating a departmental or school teaching mission; linking that mission to teaching assignments and expectations for individual instructors
- Recognizing and rewarding excellence in teaching through awards, grants, and other incentives
- Preparing learning outcomes and other assessment measures for accreditation
For more information, see our Resources for Department Chairs teaching guide.