Teaching Assistant Orientation 2010 Registration Now Open
The Center for Teaching will host its annual Teaching Assistant Orientation on August 18 and 19, 2010 in Buttrick Hall. Teaching Assistant Orientation (TAO) prepares graduate students to assume their teaching duties with confidence by engaging them in interactive sessions about teaching methods and resources. By attending TAO, you will…
- Discover effective teaching techniques relevant to the teaching you’ll be doing as a TA.
- Learn about Vanderbilt policies and resources for TAs.
- Practice your teaching skills and receive feedback from more experienced TAs.
- Explore ways in which you can approach teaching as a scholarly activity.
What is the schedule of TAO?
- Day 1 – Wednesday, August 18
- 12:30 – 1:30: Registration
- 1:00 – 3:00: Disciplinary Focus Session I
- 3:00 – 3:15: Break
- 3:15 – 5:00 Disciplinary Focus Session II
- Day 2 – Thursday, August 19
- 9:00 – 12:15: Practice Teaching Sessions
Who Should Attend TAO?
Graduate students who will begin teaching assistant (TA) duties during the 2010-11 school year are invited to attend TAO. You may be required to attend TAO by your department. Please check with your department to find out its TAO attendance policy.
If you are an incoming international graduate student, then you should also plan on participating in teaching & language evaluations for 30 minutes on August 17 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Please see the CFT’s web site for more information.