Course Design Institute on Inclusive Teaching
This Spring – May 24th through 27th – the Center for Teaching invites you to join in our Course Design Institute on the theme of Inclusive Teaching. This virtual event will take place via Brightspace and Zoom, May 24-27 (9am-4pm Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and 9-12:30pm Thursday). During the four-day institute, participants will (re)design courses with careful attention to the ways they can help all students thrive through greater belonging and engagement. In the institute we will explore a variety of facets of inclusive teaching, especially…
- Motivating and challenging all students, regardless of their identity or background
- Engaging a diverse range of voices and perspectives for dynamic and critical dialogue
- Helping all students better understand – and cooperate across – differences
- Developing trusting and productive dialogues about difficult subjects
- Providing accessible and supportive assignments and activities
- Closing performance and persistence gaps across the curriculum
- Ensuring all students are meaningfully involved in their own learning and experience intellectual, social, and emotional growth
Throughout the Institute’s events, participants will…
- Learn strategies for designing courses in which learning objectives, activities, and assessments foster inclusion and equity
- Work collaboratively in a mix of small- and large-group sessions to refine and apply these strategies to diverse teaching contexts
- Expand a peer network of Vanderbilt educators dedicated to inclusion and equity
- Develop a (re)designed syllabus and course plans for the coming semesters
All instructors of record are invited to apply by Friday, April 23rd. The total number of participants will be limited to 40, and applicants will be notified of their acceptance by Wednesday, April 28th. Preferences will be given to instructors of record intending to (re)design courses to be taught in the upcoming academic year.
If you are interested in attending the Course Design Institute on Inclusive Teaching, please register here. If you have further questions, please contact the CFT’s Joe Bandy at firstname.lastname@example.org or Stacey Johnson at email@example.com.