The Vanderbilt Center for Teaching is happy to help you in creating a teaching portfolio that suits your needs. To make an appointment, use our contact form or call (615) 322-7290.
Please keep in mind the following possibilities and limitations of our services:
What We can Provide:
- Help with creating portfolio documents, including teaching philosophy statements, and framing teaching experience
- Training and development of teaching innovations, strategies, skills
- Class videotaping or classroom observations, with teaching consultations
- Strategies for assessing student learning and eliciting student feedback
- Help in developing syllabi, special content, full courses or aspects of courses
- Templates and sample portfolios
What We Cannot Provide:
- Proofreading and line-editing
- Photocopying and packaging
Library Resources on Teaching Portfolios
The CFT recommends the following books on teaching portfolios. These books checked out from the CFT Library.
Peter Seldin, et al., Successful Use of Teaching Portfolios, Anker Publishing Company, 1993.
Seldin, Peter, The Teaching Portfolio: A Practical Guide to Improved Performance and Promotion/Tenure Decisions, Anker Publishing Compnay, 1991.
You can check Acorn, the Vanderbilt Library’s online catalog, for availability.
Sample Teaching Portfolios
The Center for Teaching also keeps a binder of sample teaching portfolios and teaching philosophy statements created by faculty and graduate students (and used with their permission). Visitors to the Center can browse through this binder for ideas in building their own portfolios.